Meet the team
Request a call back
“PowellsLaw were responsive when I called. Kind, caring and efficient. I was always treated as though I was important.”
“A very professional and informative service. I would highly recommend PowellsLaw. The service and support I received was over and above expectations and I would not have received the outcome I did without it.”
2. What we offer
- An experienced Private Client Team of qualified Solicitors and paralegals recognised by the Society of Trust Estate Practitioners, members of Solicitors for the Elderly and the Law Society Private Client Section
- A supportive lawyer to work with you throughout this difficult time
- A ‘no obligation’ appointment to discuss the nature of the estate
- Full administration of the estate or a tailored service to meet your requirements
- Fixed fees in certain cases
- Fee based on time actually spent on your matter
3. About the transaction: key stages
- Identifying and valuing the assets in the estate
- Paying inheritance tax (if applicable)
- Applying for a grant of probate (or letters of administration if there is no Will)
- Informing interested parties
- Gathering in all of the estate assets, selling any assets if required and then paying any debts from the estate
- Distributing the estate in line with the Will or rules of intestacy if there is no Will
Time scales are likely to vary and this can be discussed with a member of the team
4. Fee information and average fee
- A fixed fee of £1,350.00 plus VAT where a Grant of Representation is needed but no Inheritance Tax is payable, only a brief Summary Account is required to be submitted and no other administration is required.
- An additional fixed fee of £275 + VAT where schedule IHT217 is required (application for a Transferable Nil Rate Band).
- A fixed fee of £2,700.00 plus VAT where a Grant of Representation is needed, a full Inheritance Tax Account is required to be submitted, no Inheritance Tax is payable and no other administration is required.
- A fixed fee of £3,500.00 plus VAT where a full Inheritance Tax Account is required to be submitted and either where Inheritance Tax is payable or where the full Inheritance Tax Account is especially complex.
- For the full administration of a straightforward estate an average fee would be between £3,500.00 to £6,500.00 plus VAT
- The above fees do not include:
- Grant application fee – £155.00 plus £1.50 for each additional Court copy of the Grant;
- Online identification verification – £10.00 plus VAT per Executor/Administrator
- Bank Transfer Fees
- Specialist Probate Software fee
- Where the estate is not straightforward such as where:
- There are missing beneficiaries
- There are issues with the Will
- There are numerous beneficiaries
- There are numerous assets or more complex or time-consuming assets, such as large Share or Property Portfolios
- There are more complex Inheritance Tax calculations or exemptions to consider such as Agricultural Property Relief, Business Property Relief etc.
- There are circumstances that will affect the tax payable, such as recent lifetime gifts, Trusts or Settlements.
5. Client Satisfaction
- This firm has a five-star satisfaction rating based on data collected by Working Feedback working on our behalf to collect client feedback. In the event that any aspect of this firm’s service has fallen below your expectations, this firm’s complaints procedure can be found here.